By Peter Lawler
Locations the paintings of Johan Galtung within the context of prior and present debates in diplomacy, political concept, and extra typically, within the social sciences. This accomplished and important account scrutinises Galtung's conceptual icons, corresponding to, optimistic peace and structural violence.
Read Online or Download A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research PDF
Best war & peace books
A rare selection of essays at the lately concluded Iraq conflict via Nobel Peace laureates and prime students. The Iraq conflict and its results is the 1st and purely booklet that brings jointly greater than 30 Nobel Peace laureates and eminent students to supply critiques, analyses and insights at the battle that has drawn either frequent competition and robust help.
Seeing that international battle II, Germany has faced its personal heritage to earn popularity within the kin of countries. Lily Gardner Feldman attracts at the literature of faith, philosophy, social psychology, legislation and political technology, and historical past to appreciate Germany's international coverage with its ethical and pragmatic motivations and to strengthen the idea that of overseas reconciliation.
Warding off international warfare examines significant neighborhood disputes and conflicts through the global as they effect upon either American household and international coverage.
- Living Nonviolently: Language for Resisting Violence
- Why men rebel
- Translating Evidence and Interpreting Testimony at a War Crimes Tribunal: Working in a Tug-of-War
- No Worse Enemy: The Inside Story of the Chaotic Struggle for Afghanistan
- African Security Politics Redefined
Additional info for A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research
Pp. 24-27, 37. The case is made here in very broad terms with no historical or empirical references. Compare with the more nuanced analysis of the scientization of politics in Habermas, Toward a Rational Society, chs. 4-6. 23. Galtung, "Science as Invariance-Seeking and Invariance-Breaking Activity," p. 72. 24. " Toward a Rational Society, preface and ch. 5. 25. " See his Jurgen Habermas, p. 21. 26. McCarthy, The Critical Theory of Jurgen Habermas, ch. 1. 27. ECC, p. 51. 28. See, for example, Findlay, Nuclear Dynamite.
34. Strasser, The Normative Structure of Sociology, p. 6. 35. See Chapter 6. 36. ECC, p. 60. 37. ECC, p. 61. 38. On this point, see Habermas, Toward a Rational Society, p. 66. Â < previous page < previous page page_133 page_134 next page > next page > Page 134 39. ECC, p. 61. 40. Strasser, The Normative Structure of Sociology, p. 11. 41. , p. 12. 42. ECC, p. 62. 43. ECC, p. 68. 44. Lukacs, History and Class Consciousness, pp. 224-225. 45. Habermas, Toward a Rational Society, p. 63. 46. ECC, pp.
13. Harvey is citing the editorial of PRECIS 6, 1987. See his The Condition of Postmodernity, p. 9. 40 41 14. , p. 44. 15. Rosenau, Postmodernism and The Social Sciences, pp. 4-5. 16. , p. 16 17. White, "Poststructuralism and Political Reflection," p. 191. 18. Roy, Walker, and Ashley, "Dialogue: Towards a Critical Social Theory of International Politics," p. 88. It is insightful to contrast Walker's and Ashley's contributions to this dialogue with Rosenau's distinction between skeptical and affirmative postmodern voices in mind.
A Question of Values: Johan Galtung's Peace Research by Peter Lawler